JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER

© 2019 by The Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop

OUR HISTORY

The building the Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop is housed in was built in the late 17th century, when it was owned by the Duke of Rutland.

It was sold to the town's tallow chandler, Mr Wilson, whose family were tenants of the property at the time, by the eighth Duke in 1921.

Around 1860 Mrs Wilson became aware of a new pudding creation that had been made by accident at a local inn, then called The White Horse.

The pudding was the result of a misunderstanding between the inn's mistress, Mrs Greaves, and her cook; visiting noblemen had ordered a strawberry tart, but instead of stirring the egg mixture into the pastry, the cook spread it on top of a layer of jam.

The result was so successful that Mrs Wilson recognised the possibility of producing the puddings to sell and acquired the original recipe in order to commence a business of her own.

Our Bakewell Puddings are still made by hand from this secret recipe today. We send them to many corners of the globe using our popular Post a Pudding service and visitors  can also try them in our cosy, traditional restaurant in the town where they were invented, served hot with custard or cream.

0