The Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop
The History of the Bakewell Pudding
These delicious puddings were first made by accident at a local inn (the then White Horse) around 1860. It seems clear that the recipe was originally something of an accident, the result of a misunderstanding between Mrs Graves, mistress of the inn and her cook.
Visiting noblemen ordered strawberry tart, but the cook, instead of stirring the egg mixture into the pastry, spread it on top of the jam. The result was so successful that a Mrs Wilson, wife of a tallow chandler who lived in the cottage now known as the Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop where candles were made, saw the possibility of making the puddings for sale and obtained the so-called recipe and commenced a business of her own.
The property, probably built in the late 17th century, was owned by the Duke of Rutland until sold to the Wilson family, then tenants, by the 8th Duke in 1921.
Bakewell Puddings, still made by hand from the secret recipe, are sent away to many corners of the globe from the world-famous bakery, as well as eaten as a sweet in our famous restaurant as they were meant to be eaten - hot with custard or cream.